To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services
that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange
to age in place as full members of the community.
Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange and Maplewood (SOMA) launched "Two towns for all ages." Under this new initiative, SOMA is taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
This age-friendly initiative engages all stakeholders in the community - government, businesses, schools, non-profits and faith-based organizations - to build a community that serves the needs of residents of all ages. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy, engaged and vibrant aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Encourage older adults to engage in the conversation and be responsive to their concerns.
Both towns are committed to the long-term continuity and sustainability of the SOMA Two towns for all ages initiative.
Get a free ride to the Farmers Markets
The farmers markets are in full swing and we want to help you get there! Seniors can use Gogo Grandparent for a free ride to the South Orange and Maplewood farmers markets. Just call 855-464-6872 and request a ride to the market about 15 minutes before you want to go, then call from your cell phone when you are ready to be picked up. You do not need to have a Gogo Grandparent account to get free rides to the farmers markets! Rides start on September 5 This offer is only good for South Orange and Maplewood residents age 65+ and can be used to go to either market.
- The Maplewood market is open Monday, 2:00-7:00 pm at 1848-1852 Springfield Avenue (between Yale & Oberlin Streets). Pick up and drop off will be at the municipal parking lot behind the market (entrance from Yale).
- The South Orange market is open Wednesday, 2:00 -7:00 pm in the Sloan Street lot across from the NJ Transit station. Pick up and drop off will be on Sloan Street
SOMA Two towns for all ages is supported through the generosity of
The Grotta Fund for Senior Care