County, State and Federal Services
The Maplewood Department of Health has an extensive list of programs and services available for older adults. For their full listing,
click here: Seniors and Caregivers Resources
For information on Medicare coverage and services: https://www.medicare.gov/
HAVING TROUBLE PAYING FOR PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION? The NJ Pharmaceutical Assistance Program for the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) may help.
The state of New Jersey has a program that enables residents with a limited income (see amounts listed below) who meet age or disability requirements to pay a maximum of $5 to have a prescription for a generic medication filled or $7 for a name brand medication prescription. If determined to be eligible for this program the basic Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Benefits) monthly premium is paid by this benefit. To be eligible for the PAAD benefits applicants must be:
- Resident of the State of New Jersey
- Age 65 or older OR between 18 and 64 AND receiving Social Security Disability benefits
- Have an anticipated 2018 total annual gross income of: less than $27,189 for a single individual or less than $33,334 if filing as a couple.
- Income limits for 2017 must also be met. The 2017 gross income must be less than $2,221.25 monthly or $26,655 annually for single persons and less than $2,723.33 monthly income or $32,680 annually for a couple.
For additional information and application for PAAD call 1-800-792-9745, call 211 or click here .
South Orange residents can also contact Marian Roffman at Senior Services at the South Orange Public Library 973-762-0230 on Tues. or Thurs.
Is your income slightly higher than the PAAD income limitations? If so, Senior Gold may help.
The NJ Senior Gold Program provides some assistance with the cost of prescription medications for those who have an income that is slightly higher than the limits for PAAD. To be eligible for Senior Gold you must be:
- A New Jersey resident;
- 65 years of age or older or 18 years of age or older and receiving Social Security Disability benefits; and
- Annual income for 2018 is between $27,189 and $37,189 if you are single or between $33,334 and $43,334 if you are married.
To be eligible for Senior Gold applicants are required to enroll in a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan of their choice, pay the required monthly premium for this plan and any late enrollment penalty. (This penalty may be imposed by Medicare for each month they were eligible to enroll in Medicare Part D but did not do so). For more information go to:http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/doas/home/seniorgolddetail.html for or call toll free 1-800-792-9745, the NJ Department of Health, Division of Senior Services.