To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services
that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange
to age in place as full members of the community.
Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange and Maplewood (SOMA) launched "Two Towns for All Ages." Under this new initiative, SOMA is taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
This age-friendly initiative engages all stakeholders in the community - government, businesses, schools, non-profits and faith-based organizations - to build a community that serves the needs of residents of all ages. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy, engaged and vibrant aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Encourage older adults to engage in the conversation and be responsive to their concerns.
Both towns are committed to the long-term continuity and sustainability of the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages initiative.
Friday, October 18
Medicare - learn about enrollment, changes for 2020 and choosing the best option for your needs
from the State Health Insurance Contractor - no sales!.
Maplewood Senior Center, 1pm
Free Flu Shots for South Orange & Maplewood Residents age 65+ available at 12:30!
Sign up for the Senior Forum
It's been 4 years since the first Senior Forum that launched our age-friendly initiative. Join us on Sunday, October 27, 2pm at SOPAC to share your feedback on what we have done so far, and what we need to focus on next. Register by calling (973) 558-0863 or email [email protected]
REGISTER BY FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18, FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A SOPAC MEMBERSHIP!
SOMA on the Move
Click here for walking maps for this new program to help you
get out, get exercise, and get a look around our beautiful towns!
Senior Resource Directory now available!
Proud member of the AARP Network of Livable Communities
SOMA Two towns for all ages is supported through the generosity of
The Grotta Fund for Senior Care