To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services
that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange
to age in place as full members of the community.
Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange and Maplewood (SOMA) launched "Two Towns for All Ages." Under this new initiative, SOMA is taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
This age-friendly initiative engages all stakeholders in the community - government, businesses, schools, non-profits and faith-based organizations - to build a community that serves the needs of residents of all ages. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy, engaged and vibrant aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Encourage older adults to engage in the conversation and be responsive to their concerns.
Both towns are committed to the long-term continuity and sustainability of the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages initiative.
Senior Resource Directory now available!
Calling all athletes for the NJ Senior Olympics!
Woodbridge Township will be hosting the New Jersey Senior Olympic games on September 6,7,& 8. The games include competition in 23 sports by age categories, starting at age 50. Games include: archery, tennis, pickle ball, swimming, tennis, golf darts, cycling and more.
For more information or to register, go to their website at: https://www.njseniorolympics.com/
Essex County Farmers Market Vouchers
If you are an Essex County resident age 60+ with an annual income under $22.459, you may be eligible for $25 in vouchers to be used at any farmers market in the county. Vouchers will be distributed on Wednesday, August 28, from 10am - 2 pm at South Orange Village offices. Please bring proof of residency, age and income. Questions? Call the Essex County Division of Senior Services (973) 395-8375
Proud member of the AARP Network of Livable Communities
SOMA Two towns for all ages is supported through the generosity of
The Grotta Fund for Senior Care