To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services
that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange
to age in place as full members of the community.
Vaccination News - Group 1B expanded in NJ - Seniors get your shot!
Individuals 65+ years of age are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Where do I register to be vaccinated?
- You can register to be vaccinated at www.essexcovid.org or by calling Essex County COVID Call Center at 973-877-8456. Even if you registered on the State website, use www.essexcovid.org to make an appointment for the vaccine.
- Once registered, you will hear back with date & time to go to the vaccine distribution site at Livingston Mall.
- Appointments will be made available as the county receives vaccine doses from the state.
- As more vaccine doses become available, other options will be offered. Large medical practices are getting vaccines to distribute to their patients, but check with them to see when they will be starting.
- To see appointment availability, go to: https://www.essexcovid.org/vaccine/vaccine_availability
- A group of volunteers on the Facebook page SOMA Squad is willing to help people struggling to register.
What do I do if I need transportation to a vaccination site?
The preferred option is to drive yourself or go with someone who has been in your “COVID bubble.” We are currently working with county officials to pool our collective resources into transportation options for residents who do not drive. If you need help with transportation, please call (973) 558-0863.
Please make note of the following existing transportation options:
Essex County Special Transportation Services
Call (973) 618-1280 to register and set up an appointment. Once you are in the system, you can begin scheduling rides.
For NJ Transit routes to Livingston Mall, click here Train & Bus routes
Find the answers to frequently asked questions about vaccination
plans for our area by clicking here: Vaccine Overview
News & Updates
Join Sing for Hope every day beginning January 1, 2021 and Explore, Immerse, Engage, all from the comfort of your own space.
Sign Me Up!
To sign up for eblasts of the monthly community calendar, events and news for residents 60+ please go to http://southorange.org/list.aspx and choose the "Senior Citizen Community Calendar"
A Time Before Vaccines
Last year, we interviewed several residents, capturing their stories of growing up in a time before vaccines. Some of the stories seem familiar, especially now, with shutdowns and quarantines. To see the video, click here: "A Time Before Vaccines"
Proud member of the AARP Network of Livable Communities
- Feb 28 2021 - Black Health Matters: COVID19 Vaccine and the Black Communit
- Mar 1 2021 9:00 am - Balance Class with Yvonne
- Mar 1 2021 2:00 pm - Yoga with Yvonne
SOMA Two Towns for All Ages is supported through the generosity of
The Grotta Fund for Senior Care