To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services
that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange
to age in place as full members of the community.
Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange and Maplewood (SOMA) launched "Two Towns for All Ages." Under this new initiative, SOMA is taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
This age-friendly initiative engages all stakeholders in the community - government, businesses, schools, non-profits and faith-based organizations - to build a community that serves the needs of residents of all ages. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy, engaged and vibrant aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Encourage older adults to engage in the conversation and be responsive to their concerns.
Both towns are committed to the long-term continuity and sustainability of the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages initiative.
SOMA Senior Survey
Thank you to everyone who took part in the Senior Forum. In order to gather input and ideas from as many residents as we can, we invite all residents age 50+ to take the SOMA Senior Survey and help us plan for the next phase of our age-friendly efforts.
Click here: SOMA Senior Survey
Coming back to you on Saturday, November 16, from 2-5 pm. Bring your broken, beloved items to Morrow Memorial Church, 600 Ridgewood Road in Maplewood and we will do our best to fix it.
Interested in being a volunteer repairer? Call (973) 558-0863 or email [email protected]
Proud member of the AARP Network of Livable Communities
SOMA Two towns for all ages is supported through the generosity of
The Grotta Fund for Senior Care