To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services
that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange
to age in place as full members of the community.
Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange and Maplewood (SOMA) launched "Two Towns for All Ages." Under this new initiative, SOMA is taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
This age-friendly initiative engages all stakeholders in the community - government, businesses, schools, non-profits and faith-based organizations - to build a community that serves the needs of residents of all ages. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy, engaged and vibrant aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Encourage older adults to engage in the conversation and be responsive to their concerns.
Both towns are committed to the long-term continuity and sustainability of the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages initiative.
Friday, February 28
Veterans Benefits and Resources, Maplewood Senior Center, 11am
David Brimmer, from the US Department of Veteran Affairs Outreach Program and Social Work Service, will explain the range and scope of benefits for veterans of all ages, answer your questions and help you and your family connect to the benefits you have earned
- Free but please rsvp to help us prepare – (973) 558-0863 or [email protected]
- Need transportaiton? Just say so when you rsvp
Sunday, March 1
3rd Annual Volunteer Fair, The Woodland, 1-3pm
- Looking for a place to share your time and talents? Come meet dozens of community organizations looking for volunteers.
- Are you volunteering for a group already? Please tell them to email [email protected] to get information about participating.
A Time Before Vaccinations
Have you seen our video, "A Time Before Vaccines?" Featuring the stories of local seniors growing up when diseases like polio, diphteria and measles were a real and present threat, this video shares their memories and experiences growing up.
To see the video, click here: "A Time Before Vaccinations"
Proud member of the AARP Network of Livable Communities
- Feb 27 2020 8:00 pm - Folk Dancing at The Burgdorff Center
- Feb 28 2020 11:00 am - Veterans Benefits and Resources, Maplewood Senior Center
- Feb 28 2020 11:00 am - Veterans Benefits Workshop, Maplewood Senior Center
SOMA Two towns for all ages is supported through the generosity of
The Grotta Fund for Senior Care